For the cake:
- 340g baking marge, plus extra for greasing
- 340g caster sugar
- 6 free-range eggs
- 75ml Finca Bourbon Organic strong espresso or other high quality esspresso
- 340g self raising flour
For the coffee butter cream topping/filling:
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g margarine
- 480g icing sugar
- 50ml Finca Bourbon Organic strong espresso or other high quality esspresso
- handful of Finca Bourbon Organic (or other whole bean coffee) coffee beans to decorate
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 170C (fan oven) 190C(conventional oven).
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until very light and pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture whilst beating well.
- Add the espresso to the mixture and stir well.
- Fold the flour into the mixture.
- Spoon the cake mixture into two lined and greased 20cm.
- Transfer to the oven to bake 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and the cake is golden-brown.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- For the coffee buttercream topping/filling, beat the butter, margarine and icing sugar together in a small bowl until pale and light.
- Add the espresso and mix well.
- Spread the buttercream over the top of each cake, then place one cake on top of the other.
- Decorate the top of the cake with coffee beans