- 75g Finca Bourbon Organic (or other whole bean coffee) finely ground
- 200g quality dark chocolate (70%)
- 100g butter, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 60g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 30g cocoa
- 100g chopped White or milk chocolate pieces
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 Minutes
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4
- Line a 24cm square brownie tin with baking paper. Break up the dark chocolate and melt the butter and chocolate together in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water making sure the water doesn't touch the base of the bowl. The chocolate and butter can also be melted in a microwave. Remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool until needed.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and sift on the flour, baking powder, ground coffee and cocoa.
- Fold this in to give a batter.
- (Optional) add the chopped chocolate pieces and fold them in.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is cracked but the middle just set. Cool completely, then lift out of the tin and cut. You don’t want to overcook them so, unlike cakes, you don’t want a skewer to come out clean – the brownies should still be gooey in the middle but slightly springy on the outside.